From Studio Theatre Ltd to Scarborough Theatre Trust: A TimelineThe history of the company which began in Scarborough in 1955 is somewhat convoluted and has not previously been recorded; there is actually no record of one of the companies that is integral to the history of the Stephen Joseph Theatre within the company's archive. This sets out significant dates relating to the various companies associated with the Stephen Joseph Theatre.
- 1955: Studio Theatre Ltd is founded by Stephen Joseph (the actual date is unknown but evidence points to early 1955)
- 1955 (14 July): The Library Theatre, Scarborough, opens run by Studio Theatre Ltd; this is home to the UK's first professional theatre-in-the-round company.
- 1962 (late September): Studio Theatre Ltd transfers with its assets and funding (and most of the acting company) to Stoke-on-Trent.
- 1962 (9 October): The Victoria Theatre, Stoke-on-Trent, opens run by Studio Theatre Ltd; this is the UK's first permanent professional theatre-in-the-round venue.
- Early 1963: Theatre In The Round Ltd is founded by Stephen Joseph (the actual date is unknown but is no earlier than October 1962 and prior to April 1963).
- 1963 - 1964: The Library Theatre is run by Theatre In The Round Ltd.
- 1964 (17 January): Studio Theatre Ltd registered as a charity.
- 1964 (18 July): It is resolved Scarborough Theatre Trust be incorporated as a company.
- 1964 (11 August): Scarborough Theatre Trust incorporated as a company.
- 1965 onwards: The Library Theatre (and the company's subsequent homes) are run by Scarborough Theatre Trust.
- 1967 (July): Following a bitter argument over the future of the Victoria Theatre, Studio Theatre Ltd cedes control of the venue to Stoke on Trent and North Staffordshire Theatre Trust.
- 1967 (28 July): Stoke on Trent and North Staffordshire Theatre Trust Ltd is incorporated as a company and continues to run what is now the New Vic, Newcastle-under-Lyme, to this day as a civic theatre.
- 1967 (18 September): Scarborough Theatre Trust registered as a charity.
- 1967 (5 October): Stephen Joseph dies. At some point in the aftermath of this Studio Theatre Ltd is unincorporated as a company and ceases to exist. Its assets predominantly split between Scarborough Theatre Trust, Stoke on Trent and North Staffordshire Theatre Trust and the University Of Manchester; the latter being the beneficiaries of Stephen Joseph's papers.
All research for this page by Simon Murgatroyd. Please do not reproduce this article without permission of the author.